Well, they wouldn't let me use bitcherella so the blog name's gotta stay. Here's a pic of me teaching kids to be Liberal Progressives... This is also the temporary home for a new RV Homemaking blog which has yet to be named, or its own site. Stay tuned.







Monday, February 28, 2011

The polish prince went to bed at noon yesterday because he was bored. See? Not having a hobby makes life boring. Ya think he’d do a dish or clean the toilet? Nah… that’s beneath his dignity I guess. Me, I am never bored. Ever. I make crafts, I read, I surf the net, I write nasty blog entries, I call people on my phone. Bored. Not in this lifetime anyways.



I am working on some new creatures…I am calling them plumpkins. I am searching for my style with this sculpting thing. I have lots of ideas, but haven’t yet honed my skills. Here is a picture of my first guy. He is made of paperclay.




Then I made these guys from some leftover sculpy clay that I was using when I was learning to carve.




That is another blog, but to recap, a friend of Gene’s at John Knox Village is a wonderful wood carver. His name is Don, and he and his partner Connie live in one of the cottage homes in the Village. He graciously offered to teach me how to carve basic things from sculpy, thinking that this would help me in my quest to become a sculptor. Well, to make the proverbial long story short, when carving you are removing matter…in the type of sculpting I want to do with paper and polymer clays; you add matter to an armature. Not quite the same thing.


Let me know what you think. They are rough sculpt and have to be sanded and filled in where necessary.  I plan on painting the figures but am planning to just paint eyes on the little faces…with a bit of color to the cheeks. No mouth I think. I had thought of taking words that I would create on the computer, antiquing them and then burning the paper edges and then placing them on the figures, kind of like naming each one and giving them names. However, I just found another artist who is using this very same idea while I was tooling around Esty last night. Darn, I thought it was an original idea too. This artist uses a similar medium (clay) and makes similar little figures! I would fear that it would appear I was stealing someone’s idea, or copying that artist’s style. Even though I had seen this done on other mixed media pieces, and it is common, I had thought my idea was so unique. Dang. I am still continuing with my new pieces, but am bummed that I really am not as original or unique as I had thought when the ideas formulated in my head…

No comments:

Post a Comment